There were LOTS of other families meeting their babies (mostly little boys) at the civil affairs office along with us. It was a little bit difficult-- although Nora did surprisingly well with that part. Many babies were screaming...for most of the parents this was a new experience.
Kai was one of the last babies to arrive and he was quite apprehensive but had been well-prepared. He was carrying the photo album we sent and immediately recognized Nora. He kept looking at her then looking at her picture. He didn't want to be held by anyone but the nanny, but eventually fell asleep while I was holding him.
He is pretty vocal and imitates signs like crazy. We don't think he hears much, although he is pretty sick, and I'm sure has some fluid in his ears.
I'm not sure how much I want to share about this...but Kai was found with a very detailed birth note, indicating that his birth parents knew of his hearing loss and wanted very much to be able to provide him with technology (they specifically mentioned a cochlear implant) but did not have the resources. He was born with the loss and is otherwise healthy. They wrote that they were heartbroken to leave him but felt if they waited any longer his opportunities for a happy future would not be as good.
To be clear, I don't feel that I am meant to be his mother. I can't imagine the choice his birth parents had to make...and how terrible that they even had to make such a choice, when there are so many options for children with hearing loss now compared to even 20 years ago. But I certainly intend to do the very best for him, and I hope somehow they know that their son will have a family to love him. He could easily have stayed in the orphanage until he "aged out." Those of you with adopted boys know what I'm talking about.
Right now, he and Nora are sword fighting and having a blast.
Also, this kid is going to eat us out of house and home.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Location:Qianzhang Alley,Nanjing,China
10 comments:
Oh he is adorable, such a beautiful story and happy pictures. How special it must make Nora feel to have Kai's attention, and how comforting it must make Kai to have Nora around. You must be feeling so many emotions. Your family is inspiring and thank you for keeping the blog. All the best,
Jessica
Beautiful, Kim (you & the boy). I'm crying as I write. Travel safely, my friend!
Love, Grace
Those pictures are so beautiful, Kim. What an amazing thing...and Kai is such an adorable little boy :-)
Congratulations!!!!! I am so happy for you. Kai is adorable!! Karen
Kimberly,
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
You all look so filled with joy!
Thanks so much for sharing with us.
Happy Day Number Two!
Trena
our LL
is also
from XZ
Kim,
Kai is simply gorgeous!!!!!!
The family letter is so heartbreaking . I often think about these parents that have to make such an unbelievable sacrafice.
Enjoy your time with your new beautfiul son :)
Nicole
he's beautiful!!! more pictures please
Congratulations! He is such a beautiful boy. What a blessing that you were able to get so much information about his past.
Kelly
XZ mommy to Charis
Congrats on you beautiful son, thanks for sharing your happiness with us, your blog is great. Brings back fond memories of Nanjing, noodles and first days together. I will be thinking of you in Xuzhou, wondering if you will be met like many before you by camera crews from the local news station: haven't heard of that happening lately, but it is such a surprise to arrive at Xuzhou and be a celebrity. Hope your visit is great!
Sue
Momma to two Xuzhou sweeties
Such a cutie! Boys are so much fun! And they will eat!
Post a Comment