Thursday, December 13, 2007

Vegans Beware

People are nosey. I don't mind, because I love talking about my daughter, but people are nosey.

I was at the grocery store buying Nix (lice treatment for our trip), and SPAM. A little bit of background on the SPAM. My inlaws live in Hawaii, on the Big Island, and my sister-in-law is the BEST COOK EVER. She makes this deliciously salty snack, called SPAM Musubi which is very popular in Hawaii. On occasion, when I am severely craving salt and seaweed (and SPAM), I will make it myself. It's so so tasty, really. But, of course, terrible for you. We love it in this house. Have I mentioned that I was a strict vegetarian (the real kind, not the kind that eats fish and chicken) for 15 years before I met my husband? Now, I'm a salted meat junky.

So, I'm at the grocery store, stocking up on SPAM and lice medicine, and the checkout person says, "Looks like a fun night." I'm not really sure what she meant by that, but it can't be good, right? I said, "my daughter is in an orphanage in China and she has lice." Yeah. Just like that. Because why should I be polite when she wasn't? Granted, she was probably a high school student and I recently attended my 20 year high school reunion, so I should be the bigger person. But I frankly wasn't in the mood. I was craving salt and I don't have one more teachable moment in me this week.

She said all the "oh that's so wonderful" stuff, which I also don't mind because it is pretty darned wonderful. Then, "Is the SPAM for China too?"

"Oh no. That's my dinner."

I don't know what she thought was ickier, the Nix or the SPAM.

2 comments:

Rebel said...

Too funny ~

Joe and I lived in Hawaii years back and one Thanksgiving night, I decided to go stand in line as the WalMart was going to open at midnight and they had amazing door busters. When I arrived at 11pm... thinking I was early ~ sure to get a cheap Gameboy ~ I was greeted by a line that was longer than a mile long! My nerves got the best of me and I thought the whole time standing in this long line... what would be the best route to the Electronic Section so I could beet out the other 2500 people in line before me... sure they were all there for Gameboys. Funny... when the doors finally opened... I got in and ran to the Gameboy ... I looked around and I was the only one around. The first 2499 people were there to get cases of SPAM at an amazing price! It was surreal to me!! ! Those great folks in Hawaii sure do like their SPAM!!! Wal MArt never did run out of the special Gameboys... but the SPAM was sold out in minutes!

Cheers, Rebel

Fellow CHI mommy

Stinky Mouse said...

spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam SPAM, wonderful spam spam spam spam...


I don't think Monty Python has a lice skit do they?