Monday, February 11, 2008

Marching reluctantly towards March.

We're still working hard on bonding and attachment stuff (today was a really hard day, but I won't go into the details). While in many ways Nora is a very "typical" two-year-old, she is most definitely not a typical two-year-old. She likes me to hold her; she keeps her eye on me in a crowd; we have fun together. But she does not completely trust me yet. She is my daughter, but I am not yet her mother in the deepest sense of the word. She gets that I am caring for her, but she is guarding her heart. I want her to snuggle with me when we read, for example, but she keeps her back to me and she doesn't "settle-in" deeply. My attachment to her is evolving as well, and that process is much more tiring than I anticipated. Of course, I would not trade this for anything. I love her. I know that snuggling during story time is all about me and my needs and not really about her needs or her history. So I respect her space and I take her infrequent kisses gratefully, knowing that we are all making progress and that this is just part of it.

Developmentally, she is catching up fast! Wow. I am keeping a list of the words she has learned since Christmas. She understands 70-ish English words/phrases and uses almost 50! This means she is a bit more than 6 months delayed in English--after just 7 weeks (of spending 24-7 with a mother who talks and talks and talks and talks)! Her speech is not at all clear; only John and I can understand her for the most part. Her motor skills and self-help skills are about 3 months delayed relative to her chronological age. Her social/pretend play skills are age approrpriate. Today, she learned to use her spoon right side up. She was so, so proud of herself, as you can tell by the pictures.

Notice very little Mac and Cheese on her bib in the last picture. And also notice how round and pink her sweet cheeks have gotten! You go girl.






4 comments:

Donna said...

Our attachment process is going much the same as yours. Each day I feel like I gain a little bit from my daughter. Keep up the good work as your daughter looks great and more relaxed each pic.

Unknown said...

Maybe she grumpy because she was going through Auntie Linda withdrawl. I know I was missing you all! Terribly.

Angel said...

She is so precious. I just posted today about my process of attaching to our daughter. She was adopted older. I have wondered what the toddler thing will be like when Kaiya comes home. I think you two are doing great. :0) Angel

3wallins said...

Happy Birthday sweet Nora.
We wish for you happiness and endless curiousity in your second year. What a great year it is going to be! By the way, we love the playdoh picture where she is looking at it with furrowed eyebrows. What a look of confusion. It's so funny. Pladoh AND Fire are the universal truth!

Love, The Wallins